What's in this blog? Hearing Loss and Hearing Aids

"Mankind is terrified of silence, is uncomfortable in the quiet, is this the reason they need so much going on around them that is noisy? "

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Training the Brain

Wearing these new Hearing Aids requires my brain to learn how to pay attention to some sounds and disregard others all over again. The first day, every sound was front and center, bright and clear. After four days I realize that I am now discriminating some sounds. I still can't believe how much better everything sounds. I have to turn the volume down on everything including my Blackberry, the radio in the Subaru and the TV.

The Hearing Aids have a default volume. The background noise in some places like restaurants is too high for default volume (2 chirps) so I turn it down a couple of chirps and the noise is lot more tolerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment